The Los Angeles Better Buildings Challenge (LABBC) is an innovative, utility-funded initiative to support property owners and managers in executing cost-effective building performance upgrades to achieve 20 percent energy and water savings by 2020. The LABBC serves as an unbiased guide to help businesses take advantage of all available resources and incentives, and maximize the ROI of their energy and water efficiency upgrades.
The Los Angeles Better Buildings Challenge (www.LA-BBC.com) is seeking a Technical Advisor to aid in the surveying of new properties and assessment of energy and water efficiency equipment.
Reports to: Executive Director
Time Commitment: 10 – 20 hours / week
Compensation: Commensurate with market rates and experience
- Surveying existing buildings to identify energy and water savings opportunities:The Technical Advisor will be assigned to visit LABBC Clients’ sites, meet with Building Engineers and Property Managers, identify HVAC, electrical, and controls systems, and summarize potential energy and/or water savings. The Technical Advisor will organize and lead site-visits for selected contractors to prepare bids for the work required to achieve the energy conservation items listed during the initial survey.
- Evaluating technical engineering and performance data provided by software and equipment manufacturers.Manufacturers of state-of-the-art energy and/or water saving devices and energy performance software developers submit product material to LABBC for potential inclusion in our pre-screened list of recommended products. The Technical Advisor will evaluate these products (no testing or dismantling is required) and report on the accuracy of the claims made, likely applications, and the background of the manufacturer.
Desired Qualifications and traits:
- The Technical Advisor should have, as a minimum, 10 years of experience in the design and/or installation of mechanical or electrical systems and equipment.
- Familiarity with common energy modeling software programs is required.
- Familiarity with building HVAC, electrical, plumbing and controls systems is required.
- A Bachelors Degree in Engineering or Environmental Science is preferred.
- Excellent technical communications skills, both written and oral, are required.
The Technical Advisor is an Independent Contractor. The Technical Advisor is required to provide, at no additional cost to the LABBC, all tools, equipment, transportation, etc., required by the Technical Advisor to complete assigned tasks.
Interested applicants should send resume, cover letter, and relevant sample work (including a recent writing sample) to firstname.lastname@example.org.